1. God’s Creation Observed
"And God said, Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb yielding seed, and the fruit tree yielding fruit after his kind, whose seed is in itself, upon the earth: and it was so. And the earth brought forth grass, and herb yielding seed after his kind, and the tree yielding fruit, whose seed was in itself, after his kind: and God saw that it was good. And the evening and the morning were the third day" (Genesis 1:11‐13).
Three examples of God’s creative handiwork in an eco garden include:
- Grass + mycorrhizal fungi + legume + nitrogen-fixing bacteria in symbiosis
- Native perennial bunchgrass collecting solar energy and carbon to build and feed the soil
- Woody debris and biomass feeding the soil ecosystem to create garden resilience
2. God’s Assignment for Us as Stewards
"And the LORD God took the man, and put him into the Garden of Eden to dress it and to keep it" (Genesis 2:15).
If everyone had the love of God, and followed His mandate as stewards, we wouldn’t have all of these impossible environmental laws and environmental degradation such as the harmful algal bloom plague, water shortages, forest fires, wildlife die offs, etc.
3. The Devil’s Deceptive Attack and Mankind’s Resulting Rebellion against God
“And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden” (Genesis 3:1)?
We see this same attack today as our culture flees from God’s commands and He withdraws His hand of protection and blessing.
4. God’s Gift of Natural Resources and Human Skills and Innovation to Live and Prosper
Contrary to “modern” thought, humanity appeared fully modern at God’s command.
"And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle. And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ. And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah" (Genesis 4:20‐22).
5. God’s Goodness in Providing our Needs
Also, the abundant variety and splendor God has provided us...we get continual comments from people as we hand them a pink fleshed apple, show them an akebia, or they try Chilean guava.
- "…the earth is full of the goodness of the Lord" (Psalm 33:5).
- "The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works" (Psalm 145:9).
6. The Fall of Man and the Need for Restoration (Salvation through Jesus Christ)
- The fall in Genesis 3, particularly 3:17‐19
- Redemption in Romans 5:12‐21
7. Obedience brings Prosperity
- “If they obey and serve him, they shall spend their days in prosperity” (Job 36:11).
- God’s Word calls us today... “Whereas ye know not what shall be on the morrow. For what is your life? It is even a vapour, that appeareth for a little time, and then vanisheth away” (James 4:14).
- “See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time, because the days are evil” (Ephesians 5:15-16).
8. Look to Eternity
"Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever. For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you" (1 Peter 1:23-25).
"A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels" (Proverbs 1:5).
10. Disaster Preparedness
"And that food shall be for store to the land against the seven years of famine, which shall be in the land of Egypt; that the land perish not through the famine" (Genesis 41:36).
"As every man hath received the gift, even so minister the same one to another, as good stewards of the manifold grace of God" (1 Peter 4:10).
12. Food Justice
"Withhold not good from them to whom it is due, when it is in the power of thine hand to do it. Say not unto thy neighbour, Go, and come again, and to morrow I will give; when thou hast it by thee" (Proverbs 3:27-28).
13. Youth Leadership
"Let no man despise thy youth; but be thou an example of the believers, in word, in conversation, in charity, in spirit, in faith, in purity" (1 Timothy 4:12).